Seasonal Youth Counselor
Under the direction of the Youth Program Manager, the Youth counselor is responsible for the supervision and control of all youth and teen activities as it relates to the Passenger Programs and Entertainment Department.
In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Youth Counselors must be passionate about working with children and embrace the Norwegian Mission.
- As a member of the Cruise Staff, the youth counselors are responsible for implementing any of the scheduled social, entertainment, sporting, recreational, theatrical, and craft programs/activities for Norwegian Guests aged 2 – 17 years old while ensuring that each activity takes place safely and promptly as scheduled.
- Youth Counselors must be comfortable speaking on a microphone and be an effective Host/Hostess with the ability to engage large groups of people of a variety of ages in a public venue.
- Youth Counselors must be comfortable with dressing up in costume and performing character roles.
- Youth Counselors must be comfortable speaking with parents/adults regarding general ship information as well as Youth Program policies and guidelines.
- Youth Counselor should have organizational/administrative skills and be attentive to detail when involved with reporting youth program operations and safety.
- It is the responsibility of the youth counselor to be accessible to and approachable with guests, both young and old. He/She must be a patient listener and offer hospitality service to the guests even when the situation falls outside of the Youth Programs.
- Minimum of two years of experience in a combination of programming and implementing youth recreation, youth sports, and/or childhood education for ages 2-17 required.
- Minimum one year experience in programming and implementing theatrical/drama related activities is preferred.
- One year experience with special needs programming strongly preferred.
- Intermediate verbal and writing skills in at least one other language such as German, Spanish, French or Italian is preferred.
- Intermediate to Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook) is required.
- One year experience communicating via microphone, using/programming DJ and light/sound equipment is preferred.
- Unique hobbies are a plus: to include but are not limited to: Juggling, Theater, Gymnastics, Sports, Dance, Singing.
- Bachelors Degree or foreign equivalent in a course of study related or relevant to childcare is preferred.
- Current and active CPR/First Aid Certifications from a recognized educational institution are required.