Know our life on board
Discover amazing places
and much more...?
The Chef Tournant is a direct link between the Executive Chef, Executive Sous Chef and his/her assigned production areas and outlets. The Chef Tournant’s primary responsibilities are to ensure all communication, standards, policies, and expectations are communicated to his/her team and then executed flawlessly. He/she achieves the objectives through communication, organization, and training. The Chef Tournant enables his/her team by ensuring equipment and sanitation standards are always met, supplies and inventories are readily available, expectations are communicated, recipes are current, and training is on-going.
The Chef Tournant is expected to be a “hands-on” supervisor who leads his/her team by example. The Chef Tournant is assigned to be directly responsible for one or more outlets or production areas in the following categories: production, alternative restaurants, buffets, or main galley. The Chef Tournant should expect to be rotated into different areas with or without advance notice in regards business demands and career development. Chef Tournant rotations are at the sole on discretion of the Executive Sous Chef and Executive Chef.
- Strong knowledge of all basic cooking techniques
- Strong knowledge of Classical European, International, and World Cuisine, including cooking philosophies and principles
- Ability to lead in all areas of the galley including buffets, production, alternative restaurants and main galleys
- Flexibility to work any shift in any area of responsibility without notice
- Strong knowledge of herbs, spices, flavorings
- Strong knowledge of all kitchen equipment, tools, and supplies
- Ability to provide leadership, motivation and training
- 1+ year supervisory experience on cruise ship or high volume hotel/restaurant
- 1+ year experience in a high production volume restaurant/hotel
- 1+ year experience in a fine dining or upscale restaurant
- 3+ years of culinary experience (may be combined with formal culinary training)
- Ability to convert recipes from metric to U.S. and vice versa for both volume and weight
- Ability to utilize both Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel Programs
- Ability to create and write reports in English in professional and concise terms
- High School Diploma or Equivalent required
- Culinary School 2-4 year degree or foreign equivalency preferred